Some interesting numbers for 2011! There has always been speculation that California is the top litigious state in the country. But the $85 million against Mattel is nothing compared to a $150 billion verdict in Texas!
Top 10 punitive damages awards of the year in California:
1. $85 million against Mattell.
2. $65 million against Encino-Tarzana Regional Medical Center.
3. $50 million against Ford.
4. $30 million against Actelion.
5. $20 million against Kaiser-Gypsum (reduced to $4 million after post-trial motions).
6. $19 million against Stonebridge Life Insurance (reduced to $350k after post-trial motions).
7. $15.6 million against Johnson & Johnson.
8. $15.4 million against Pentel.
9. $13.5 million against ArvinMeritor and Pneumo Abex.
10. $2.5 million against Jon Peters.
That’s a total of $306 million in punitive damages just for these 10 cases.
Source: Law Offices of Horvitz and Levy http://www.horvitzlevy.com